Sunday, October 5, 2008

Not Exactly What Albright Said (Or Meant)



via dignityblows at the Feministing Community

At a rally in California on October 4, Governor Sarah Palin misquotes former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright.

I'm readin' on my Starbucks mocha cup, okay? The quote of the day? You'll never believe what the quote was. It was Madeleine Albright, former Secretary of State [boos from crowd] and UN ambassador? And Madeleine has as her quote of the day for Starbucks -- Now, she said it! I didn't. She said, "There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't support other women." [shrug]

Lattes, eh? Don't you know you're supposed to be drinking coffee like the rest of us regular ol' country folk, Palin? There's no show hosted by a former Republican Congressman called "Morning $6 Vente Mocha Latte," Governor. It's called Morning Joe.

But more to the point, that's not what Albright said. She said "There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't help other women." I'd help Governor Palin. I mean, if she and I were in the same public restroom and she didn't have a quarter to buy a tampon, I'd totally give her a quarter or a tampon. Probably the tampon, because I wouldn't want the quarter going to supporting her campaign. See? There's a difference between supporting and helping. And I wouldn't help Palin out simply because she was a woman or because I feared that I'd be going to Hell. I'd just expect her to help me out one day when I needed it, because women help each other out. One day, I could be like, "Hey, Governor Palin. I gave you a tampon. Now let me into Alaska so the rapture beast doesn't eat me." That's the gist of Albright's quote, not "vote for the lady or you'll burn in Hell. Mua-hahaha!"

I'm expecting this to be just the first in a whole slew of Albright misquotes made by Palin, though. Here are some gaffes that I'm really looking forward to:

"To understand John McCain's policies, you have to be a genius -- or French."

"We will not be intimidated or pushed off the world stage by people who do not like what we stand for, and that is homophobia, sexism, anti-Semitism, big oil, preemptive war, and moose burgers."

"I've never been to Iraq before. But one of my role models, Xena, the warrior princess, comes from there."

"I was in a helicopter when I fell in love with the idea of shooting endangered wolves from this height. And I continue to have that love affair."

"Russia is like, down the street from my house, so what happens there matters a great deal here."

"What a blast it is to be here with -- this Pakistani president dude who keeps touchin' me. Will ya quit it already?!"


(original quotes)

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones