Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Introducing [A] Funny Feminist.

Hello, everyone. The Mets are in a rain delay at the moment, so I decided to introduce my new blog. My name is Emily, and I contributed to another blog called Feminists to the Rescue where I posted about feminist issues and things like that. After nearly two years, I decided to create a new blog with a different twist. I decided to go funny.

How did I come to this conclusion? We all know that the only times people ever pay attention to the social contributions of women are when we're either naked or funny. After blogging in the nude for a week with no results, I figured to give humor a stab. Now obviously, sexism isn't all that funny. It's pretty serious, actually. But sexist assholes can sometimes be funny, and pointing that out is important, because laughter is like kryptonite to sexist assholes. We all know that sexist assholes are gelotophobics (that's the fear of being laughed at), so the more we laugh at them, the quicker they return to the shadows. It's just that simple. Well, not really, but it's a start.

I've decided to include a few segments on this blog. Just like in FTTR, I'll be posting weekly "Take Action" posts on the weekends with links to petitions and letters to send to lawmakers and other powerful people in order for change to happen. I'll be exposing the hypocrisy of the pro-life movement in a segment called "Pro-Life Indeed." "Join Us" will be a call to reactionary sexists who want to go back to the days when men dragged their wives back to their caves by their hair to finally evolve to the modern era. I'll also answer some of the hilarious questions posed by sexists and all-around xenophobes in a segment called "Important Question!" After all, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask them. And since sexist jokes are so rampant, I'll post those in a segment called "Sooooo Not Funny." And I'll post some funny feminist videos that I happen to find (I'm eagerly awaiting Jon Stewart's and Stephen Colbert's vacations to be over already!).

The blog is still under construction. By tomorrow, I should have my new header up. I've already created the logo, and I just have to decide how I'm going to write the title. That's right, people. It's all hand-drawn by moi. I already have ideas for my first three posts: 1) What happens when hundreds of cage fighting enthusiasts in Arkansas are exposed to man-on-man action of a different kind? 2) OK! magazine gives women 15 tips on how to snag -- and keep! -- the perfect yet insecure and shallow man, and 3) Sooooo Not Funny, Moe and Tracie!

Oh, and if anyone who happens to be reading this wants me to post a link to a cool site or their own progressive blog, feel free to comment.

Until tomorrow . . . peace!

UPDATE 7/10: Like the new header? Drew it myself! The pink is a little hard to see. I might go over it another time. But for now, I think it's adorable :)

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones