Monday, July 14, 2008

Sometimes, Hypermasculinity Bites You in the Ass

I'm kind of on a roll with the posts, since I've been gone for so long. I know a lot happened over the weekend and today (especially some so not funny stuff [I'm looking at you, The New Yorker and John MacLaughlin), so I'll be posting about that tomorrow.

Anyway, last week, the Smoking Gun reported on a cage-fighting event going totally gay thanks to one of my heros, Sacha Baron Cohen. The funnyman of Da Ali G. Show fame was filming a scene in Arkansas for his upcoming movie surrounding his character Bruno, a gay Austrian fashionisto. Lured by advertising that promised "hot chicks, cold beer, and hardcore fights," hundreds of fans instead saw a make-out fest between two dudes. How did the crowd react? They threw beers and chairs at the ring. What a tired stereotype, right? Hypermasculine, homophobic, drunk, and childish. And why were they so pissed off? I mean, two dudes making out isn't much gayer than two guys dancing in a cage with only their undies on. Am I right or am I right?

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones